Founded in 1977, the Congressional Management Foundation (CMF) is a nonpartisan nonprofit dedicated to helping Congress and its Members meet the evolving needs and expectations of an engaged and informed 21st century citizenry. Our work focuses on improving congressional operations and enhancing citizen engagement through research, publications, training, and management services.
As a nonprofit, CMF relies on grants and contributions from associations, corporations, foundations and individuals to support our activities. Supporters of CMF are supporting public service and a healthier democracy.
CMF works internally with Member offices, committees, leadership, and institutional offices in the House and Senate to foster improved management practices. From interns to Chiefs of Staff to Members themselves, CMF provides services adapted to the unique congressional environment, including:
- Management books and guidance, including our signature publication Setting Course, Keeping It Local for district and state offices, the Congressional Intern Handbook, the Life in Congress research series, and staff employment studies.
- Customized management services, such as strategic planning, teambuilding, executive coaching, mail workshops and complete office assessments.
- Staff training and professional development, including programs for senior managers, courses on writing constituent correspondence, webinars for district/state staff, and an orientation workshop for the aides of Members-elect.
CMF's Partnership for a More Perfect Union is dedicated to enriching the relationship between citizens and Congress by comprehensively addressing communications challenges faced by both sides. The goal of the Partnership is to further meaningful civic engagement through education, re-establishing trust, and providing innovative yet pragmatic tools to facilitate purposeful two-way communication. Ongoing programs include:
- Communicating with Congress Project, improving communications between Congress and citizens.
- Gold Mouse Awards, recognizing the best online communications on Capitol Hill.
- 21st Century Town Hall Research, examining and enhancing online and offline forums.
- Inside the Hill, offering a behind-the-scenes look at how technology is changing the way Congress works.