Summary of Chapter 9: Defining Your Role in Congress
*Excerpt from Setting Course: A Congressional Management Guide
, copyright Congressional Management Foundation.
- figure out the right role for you in
Congress by analyzing and balancing:
- your personal strengths and weaknesses
- your mission in Congress
- the needs of your district/state
- your political circumstances
define your role as one of the following:
- Legislative Insider
- Party Insider
determine if you want to “major”
in one role and “minor” in another.
Balancing two compatible roles can lead to
increased effectiveness and power.
- operate opportunistically without
the benefit of defining your role.
Members adopting too large a range of
issues can work very hard but accomplish