table of contents
|Public Comment on the Draft Report||3
|The Players and Their Processes
|An Overview of the Stakeholders||7
|An Overview of the Process||8
| Challenges for Citizens
|Recommendations for Citizens||18
|Grassroots Advocacy Campaigns
|Organizers of Grassroots Advocacy Campaigns||23|
|Vendors that Provide Tools to Facilitate Advocacy Campaigns||24|
|Challenges for Grassroots Advocacy Campaigns||25|
|Recommendations to Grassroots Advocacy Organizations||26|
|Recommendations to Advocacy Vendors||31|
|Members of Congress||33|
|House and Senate Member Offices||34|
|Congressional Committee and Leadership Offices||34|
|The Institution of Congress||35|
|Vendors that Provide Tools to Manage Congressional Communications||35|
|Challenges for Congress||36|
|A Recommendation to the Institution of Congress||37|
|Recommendations to Member Offices||39|
|A Recommendation to Committee and Leadership Offices||45|
|A New Model for Constituent Communications||49|
|Origins of the New Model||49|
|The Key Principles||50|
|The Concept: An Aggregated Communications Dashboard||51|
|Member Web Form Communications||53|
|Grassroots Advocacy Campaigns||54|
|Implementing the Aggregated Communications Dashboard Model||62|
|About the Congressional Management Foundation||67|
CwC: Recommendations for Improving the Democratic Dialogue
Read the full report: CWC_RecommendationsReport (3.5 MB)
Copyright 2008 by the Congressional Management Foundation
About the Communicating with Congress Project
- Project Overview – In 2001, CMF began work on this project to improve communications between citizens and Members of Congress.
- How Capitol Hill is Coping with the Surge in Citizen Advocacy – A report on congressional staffs' views of constituent communications based on focus groups, interviews, and surveys of 350 House and Senate Staff in 200 offices.
- Conference on Constituent Communications: Dispelling Myths and Discussing Solutions – A forum in which more than 200 experts and stakeholders from both sides came together to share perspectives and discuss possible solutions.
- How the Internet Has Changed Citizen Engagement – A report on citizens' views on communicating with Congress based on nationwide telephone and online surveys of citizens.
- Recommendations for Improving the Democratic Dialogue – This report is the culmination of CMF's nine years of research, outreach, and study, with recommendations for all stakeholders on how to improve communication between citizens and Congress.
- Navigating the Rising Tide of Grassroots Advocacy – CMF offers educational presentations for grassroots/advocacy organizations on the topic of how to effectively communicate with Congress.